Saturday, June 1, 2013

Armchair BEA 2013: Day 5 (Children’s/Young Adult Literature)

I've been really looking forward to this topic since the center of my blog is on Children’s and/or Young Adult Literature. YA and Children’s books are just awesome! My mom has been reading them to me since I was in diapers and I’m still reading them until now! One of my all time favorite authors, C. S. Lewis, once said:

No book is really worth reading at the age of ten which is not equally - and often far more - worth reading at the age of fifty and beyond.

I guess that’s pretty self-explanatory. So, let’s proceed with the questions:

What are the top 5 (or more) books that every child should have on his shelf?  

My list of favorite’s changes from time to time and these are my current faves:

Top 5 Classic YA/Children’s Series:
  1. His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman
  2. Redwall by Brian Jacques
  3. The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis
  4. The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien
  5. The Time Quartet by Madeleine L’Engle


Top 6 Modern YA/Children’s Series:
  1. Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer
  2. Cirque du Freak by Darren Shan
  3. Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling
  4. Maximum Ride by James Patterson
  5. Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan
  6. The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins


Top 5 Stand Alone Classic YA/Children’s:
  1. Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli
  2. The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
  3. The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery
  4. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
  5. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee


Top 5 Stand Alone Modern YA/Children’s:
  1. Being Henry David by Cal Armistead
  2. Dear Life, You Suck by Scott Blagden
  3. Looking for Alaska by John Green
  4. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (haven’t read this one though)
  5. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky


Top 5 Classic YA/Children’s Authors:
  1. Charles Dickens
  2. Jean Craighead George
  3. Lois Lowry
  4. Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
  5. Roald Dahl


Top 5 Modern YA/Children’s Authors:
  1. Cassandra Clare
  2. Cornelia Funke
  3. Neil Gaiman
  4. Scott Westerfeld
  5. Veronica Roth


If you are an adult who reads YA, why do you keep going back for more?  


I’m a young adult myself (I’m 16 years old) and I think it is natural for every teenager like me to keep going back for more. Well, I ADORE YA since they feature awesome characters that are of my age. I love the storytelling too since they’re very appropriate to my age group and very easy to understand. In simple words, I just find them very easy to bury myself into. I don't think I'll ever stop reading YA. PERIOD. But if I was an adult, I'd probably read YA to feel young again and to reminisce my teenage years.
.
.
.
Make sure to enter my International Armchair BEA giveaway here!

5 comments:

  1. Great lists, It is clear I need to visit your blog when I need some good advice on children's books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous lists! I may have to check a few of these books out.

    Tamara @ Shelf Addiction

    Check out my Children’s to YA Literature post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a fantastic series of lists and I agree with all of the choices! Maniac Magee is one of my favorite kids books from school! And the Time Quartet... I havent read them in ages!

    Amanda @ i solemnly swear

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely approve of your lists! I have read all except Being Henry David and Dear Life You Suck (though that is on my TBR list already). You picked some great ones to recommend.

    I am well out of young adulthood, but I keep reading children's and young adult. Why? Part of it is that I am an elementary school teacher librarian. That doesn't really answer it though since I think part of the reason I have that job is that I love the lit. I think that younger lit deals with the same emotions and thoughts that adult lit does, but it is in a much less cluttered way. Children's and YA authors don't beat around the bush or try to use all kinds of symbolism and complicated stuff. They get to the heart of things. Also, I read for escapism, and for sure I am not mistaking myself for any of the main characters since they are in a completely different time of life. Maybe that answers it. Glad to find your blog! http://readingtl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your list of series-I didn't read all of the Redwall books but I liked the ones I did read a lot and I should try and catch up on them all.

    ReplyDelete