Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Armchair BEA 2013: Day 1 (Classics)

Each day during Armchair BEA, we will be looking at a different genre. And for today, we will be talking about the classics!

Ah yes! The classics! They’ve been around for a very long time even before our great great granddaddy’s granddaddy has been born. There was no other way of communication but by printed word at that time and ideas were only shared through written method.

Unfortunately, majority of us tend to think that they’re just big, boring, thick books. However, I like think of them as something everyone should read and appreciate since they are very relevant to the history of literature after all. And without these beloved classics, I don’t think books, television shows, and movies we have now would be this wonderful without the influence of classics.

I personally prefer to read modern books over classics since I find it easier to let myself in the story but unlike classic literature, modern ones are just not so stimulating and touching compared to classics. I have read quite a number of classic books over my sixteen years of existence and though I didn’t find all of them enjoyable in my standards, I found a few too that will forever remain in my heart. Here are ten some names of famous classic authors whose works I really enjoyed (in no particular order):

  1. Antoine de Saint-Exupery
  2. C. S. Lewis
  3. Charles Dickens
  4. Frances Hodgson Burnett
  5. George Orwell
  6. Hans Christian Andersen
  7. Harper Lee
  8. Herman Melville
  9. J. D. Salinger
  10. J. R. R. Tolkien
  11. Jules Verne
  12. L. Frank Baum
  13. Madeleine L’Engle
  14. Mary Shelley
  15. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
  16. Victor Hugo
  17. William Shakespeare


And finally, let me tell you that not all classics are good and that there are many modern books that are as good as classics. Modern books, after all, are destined to be classics in the future!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, you have quite a nice list of classics you've enjoyed, even if it's not what you prefer to read!

    I have a special place in my heart for Shakespeare, but that's quite recent.

    Lexxie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice list of classic authors, there! I absolutely loved St. Exupery's The Little Prince. It's one of the most lovely, pure stories I have ever read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list of authors! I've read about half and the other half are in my TBR pile. I really need to try reading 20,000 Leagues by Jules Verne again, I attempted it in elementary school...which might have been way to early because at every mention of the term "poop deck" I ended up in fits of laughter. *sighs* I guess that's to be expected from an 8 year old.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I think your website might be having
    browser compatibility issues. When I look at your website in Chrome, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it
    has some overlapping. I just wanted to give you a quick heads up!
    Other then that, wonderful blog!

    my web-site :: Air Jordan Pas Cher

    ReplyDelete